Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|10. The Canterville Ghost
How are things at school?
Match the words and the definitions
Read the advertisement. Say if you would like to live in the house or not
Canterville Chase is a very large, old house in the country. There are many rooms, including a library. There’s a big garden. The house comes with one terrifying ghost.
Describe the house
— The Chase was…
— There was/ were…
|The place||Around the castle||Inside the castle|
|in the countryside
a long corridor
paintings on the walls
Match the values
Guess the character
1. He thinks the ghost is funny. He removes the bloodstain from the library every morning.
2. He’s not frightened by the ghost. He doesn’t believe in ghosts.
3. She is very frightened by the ghost and faints every time she sees him.
4. She doesn’t like the bloodstain in the library and asks the servant to remove it.
Who said that?
Match the phrase and the character
Put the verbs into the correct forms
Write a letter from Washington Otis
1. Does he like England?
2. What does he think about the castle?
3. What did he do when he saw the bloodstain?
4. How does he treat the ghost?
— to move
— to be afraid of
— to scare
— to laugh
— to remove
— to play tricks on
— to feel sorry
Three weeks ago my family moved to England.
The ghost wrote what the Otises did to him. Correct the facts
Speak about the ghost and his story
1. How did Sir Simon treat his wife?
2. What did his wife’s brothers do to him?
3. How did he try to terrify the American family?
4. How did he feel when he couldn’t scare the family?
5. What did he ask Virginia to do?
Prepare and retell
Put the sentences in the correct order
Retell the story and say how you felt when you read it. Explain why
How you felt
The ghost of Sir Simon Canterville
to buy a house
to make fun of
to play tricks on
to feel sorry for
to be free
Now you can
Now you can:
1. Retell the story in English.
2. Use past tenses for retelling.
|1. thunderstorm||7. funeral||13. excited||19. terrify||25. find out|
|2. blood||8. suit of armor||14. bored||20. scare||26. leave alone|
|3. skeleton||9. haunted||15. worried||21. make fun of||27. put on|
|4. jewel||10. cursed||16. angry||22. feel sorry for||28. take off|
|5. castle||11. scared||17. nervous||23. look after||29. play a trick on|
|6. servant||12. frightened||18. terrified||24. make noise|
It was a dark evening. Max Butler was walking down a dark, narrow street. The wind was blowing and it was raining. Suddenly, Max heard a noise behind him. He stopped and turned round.
We use Past Continuous to talk about situations in progress at a time in the past. We often use Past Continuous in stories.
8.30, running, singing
⇒ At half past eight that morning I was running to school. The birds were singing.
We form Past Continuous like this:
|I/he/she/it was running
we/you/they were running
⇒ Pete was working.
James and Anna were talking.
|I/he/she/it wasn’t running
we/you/they weren’t running
⇒ I wasn’t crying.
You weren’t looking.
|Was I/he/she/it running?
Were we/you/they running?
Yes, we were. No, they weren’t.
⇒ Was the sun shining? Yes, it was.
Were Bella and Henry eating? No, they weren’t.
Describe a character
Choose a character from the story and describe him or her
— who was the character
— describe the appearance
— describe the personality
— what he did in the story
— your opinion about the character
|1. businessman||6. murder||11. serious||16. young|
|2. ghost||7. laugh||12. miserable||17. innocent|
|3. servant||8. terrify||13. pleased||18. skeptic|
|4. twin||9. be scared||14. afraid||19. feel sorry for|
|5. castle||10. leave alone||15. nervous||20. play a trick on|
Кликни по 🔗ссылке, переходи в приложение Quizlet и учи/повторяй слова из урока
- School marks
- Canterville Chase
- The characters
- Who said that?
- Virginia’s letter
- The ghost
- Prepare and retell
- Now you can
- Grammar reference
- Describe a character
- App: Quizlet
- Demo | Fun test (Pre-Intermediate)
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|1. Your life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|2. A day in life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|3. A Surprise Party
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|4. The future begins today
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int| Revise and check 1
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|6. A bad hair day
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|7. The way things used to be
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|8. Incredible stories
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|9. A haunted house
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|10. The Canterville Ghost
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|11. Amazing people
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|12. Talents
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|13. Role Models
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int| Revise and Check 2
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|15. Into the wild