Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int| Revise and Check 2
Put the time adverb into the relevant group
Read the text and choose the correct answers to the questions
She was born in a home for poor people in Saumur, France, on 19 August 1883, and christened Gabrielle. Her mother died when she was just six years old. This left her father With Gabrielle and four other young children. He sent them away to grow up with relatives. She was raised by nuns who taught her how to sew — a skill that would lead to her life’s work.
In her early twenties, while she was working as a singer in cafes, she met two wealthy men, one a soldier, the other an Englishman called Arthur Capel. With the men’s money and contacts, she opened a hat shop in 1913. She soon expanded her business to include clothes and opened a fashion shop at 31 rue Cambon, Paris.
She said, «Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they must also be able to move, to get into a car. Clothes must have a natural shape.»
In the early 1920s, she introduced Chanel No. 5, which became one of the world’s favourite perfumes. Throughout the 1920s and 30s her clothes were becoming more and more popular.
But then in 1939 World War II began. She had worked for a short time as a nurse in World War I, but during World War II she went to Switzerland. She returned to France in 1953 and dressed many Hollywood stars, such as Liz Taylor and Katharine Hepburn.
She was still working up until her death on 10 January, 1971 when her fashion empire brought in over $160 million a year. Before that, in 1969, Katharine Hepburn had starred in a Broadway musical about her life. She is considered one of the most influential fashion designers of the twentieth century.
Watch the video and mark the sentences True or False
Cover the points:
- Who do you think is a really gifted person from the present or the past? Why?
- Where is/was this person from?
- What has/had this person done during their career?
- What do you know about their personality?
- Would you like to be like them?
Homework | Домашнее задание
Переходи по 🔗ссылке в приложение Quizlet и учи/повторяй слова из урока
- Demo | Fun test (Pre-Intermediate)
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|1. Your life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|2. A day in life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|3. A Surprise Party
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|4. The future begins today
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int| Revise and check 1
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|6. A bad hair day
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|7. The way things used to be
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|8. Incredible stories
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|9. A haunted house
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|10. The Canterville Ghost
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|11. Amazing people
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|12. Talents
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|13. Role Models
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int| Revise and Check 2
- Teens|Grammar activating|Pre-Int|15. Into the wild