Teens|Grammar activating|Int|2. Olympic stories
Look at the photos and name the sport
Match the kinds of sport to the countries
Watch the video and answer the questions
- What was his problem in childhood?
- How often does he train?
- What is his attitude to training?
- What do you know about this sportsman?
- Do you like him? Why?
- What do you think is a professional diet of a sportsman?
Complete the sentences with the missing words from the video
Read the texts and mark the sentences True or False
Famous cheating moments in sport
Argentina were playing England in the quarter-finals of the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. In the 52nd minute the Argentinian captain, Diego Maradona, scored a goal. The English players protested but the referee gave the goal. However, TV cameras showed that Maradona had scored the goal with his hand! Maradona said the next day, «It was partly the hand of Maradona, and partly the hand of God.»
Later in the game Maradona scored another goal and Argentina won 2-1. They went on to win the World Cup.
With a little help from my friends
Fred Lorz, from New York, won the marathon at the St Louis Olympic Games in 1904. He finished the race in three hours 13 minutes.
After the race Fred was waiting to get his medal and the spectators were cheering him loudly. Alice Roosevelt, the daughter of the US President, was in the crowd, and some journalists took a photo of Fred with her. But then suddenly somebody started shouting «cheat» and soon everybody was shouting the same thing. It was true. Fred had travelled 18 of the 42 kilometres in a friend’s car!
Fred didn’t win the gold medal and he was banned from athletics.
Complete the rules with the examples
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb
Combine the two sentences. Put the verb in Past Continuous or Past Simple
Retell the stories you have read before
Listen to the interview and choose the correct answer to the questions
Read the sentences. Listen to the recording to check
- I got hurt when I caught the ball.
- Her serve’s worse than the other girl’s.
- It was a draw — the score was four all.
- It’s the worst sport in the world.
- We warmed up on the court.
- They wore red shirts and white shorts.
Read the instructions
You are going to tell a story from your life. If you don’t remember, use your fantasy.
Choose one of the topics below and plan what you are going to say.
What you can do
The things you have learnt today:
- talk about stories from your life;
- use Past Simple and Past Continuous while speaking about sport events;
- listen to and understand texts better;
- read and understand texts better;
- pronounce sentences with the right intonation.
- to get an injury
Match the definitions with the words
Complete the newspaper report with the correct form of a verb
Think about PE lessons at school. Read the plan of an essay
- Write an introduction.
- Present arguments for PE lessons at school.
- Present arguments against PE lessons at school.
- State your opinion.
- Write a conclusion.
- Write an essay about PE lessons at school, following the plan above. Use some of the words below
- Read the topic and the questions carefully.
- Plan what you are going to write about.
- Write the text according to your plan.
- Check your writing before sending it for evaluation.
- Learn the rules and see the sample here.
- Please use Grammarly to avoid spelling and some grammar mistakes.
- to go cycling
- to go jogging
- to do teamsport
- Grammar practice
- What you can do
- Homework 1
- Homework 2
- Homework 3
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|1. Eating habits
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|2. Olympic stories
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|3. Changing life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|4. I've done something extreme
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|5. I'd done it before
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|6. I will go around the world
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|7. What your future might be
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|8. What did she say?
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|9. Power of mind
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|10. Learning experience
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|11. Science and technology
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|12. Crime and punishment
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|13. Internet has changed our life
- Teens|Grammar activating|Int|Revise and check