GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
1.1 Look at the picture. Learn to tell the time in English.
One way which is common in Britain is to say the minutes first and then the hour. For minutes 1 to 30 we use past but for minutes 31 to 59 we use to.
1.2 What’s the time? Tell the time.
1.1 Look at the watches and remember new phrases.
1.2 Fill the gaps with the given phrases to make a conversation.
|How can I help you||a cup of coffee||Latte|
|Regular or large||wait three minutes, please||How much is that|
|Sorry||take away||Anything else|
1.3 Complete the sentences with the words.
1.1 Listen to what is happening when John and Linda meet. What do they decide to do?
Linda and John
1.2 Listen again and mark the true/false sentences.
1.3 Read the conversation to check your answers.
Linda | John
J: Emm… Linda?
J: Yes, here I am. Hello. Glad to see you, Linda.
L: You can call me Lin. Glad to see you, too.
J: Welcome to USA. Am I late?
L: Just a bit. It’s okay.
J: What time is it?
L: Half past seven
J: I’m really sorry. I was very busy at work and forgot about time.
L: Never mind! I’m okay.
J: How are you? How’s the hotel?
L: The hotel isn’t very nice. But food is great. Everything is fresh and tasty.
J: May be you would like to eat somewhere else?
L: OK, let’s get a coffee. But I haven’t got much time. I have a meeting at ten thirty.
J: With Mark?
J: Don’t worry. We have plenty of time; the office is very close.
L: Okay, let’s go.
2.1 Listen and complete.
Can I see a menu, please?
Customer | Waiter
2.2 Match the questions and answers.
Reading and Speaking
1.1 Read the topic ‘At a Restaurant’. Do you often eat out?
At a Restaurant
Hi, I’m Pete. I enjoy eating out. We often go to a restaurant with my friends. It usually happens at the weekend or Friday evenings, when everybody is free from work and studies.
My friend Mike likes Italian food: pasta with different sauces, pizza, lasagna and other national dishes.
My friend Bob prefers eastern cuisine. His favourite dish is grilled meat with vegetables. As for me, I’m a fan of sushi and fast food. As you see our tastes differ. That’s why we choose to go to various restaurants. For example, last week, we went to the nearest sushi-bar. We had a great time there. First of all, the atmosphere in the restaurant was nice. There were black square tables and lots of Japanese national ornaments. We chose the table next to the window. The waiters were also very kind and welcoming.
My friends don’t like Japanese food much, so they ordered some salads and fried chicken wings. Luckily, they don’t serve only national food in this restaurant. I ordered a portion of traditional rolls and a cup of green tea. Everything was quite delicious. My friends tried a small piece of my rolls and said they weren’t bad. We asked the waiter to bring us the bill and left after paying. It was an excellent evening.
Sometimes I eat out with my co-workers. We usually go to a fast food place. There is a large shopping center not far from our company and we often go there. When we get hungry, we go to the ground floor where many fast food restaurants are situated. There we usually have a sandwich or a portion of pancakes with a glass of juice.
1.2 Mark the true/false sentences. Say why false sentences are false.
1.3 Answer the questions.
1. Why does Pete prefer eating out at the weekend or Friday evenings?
2. What kind of food does his friend Mike like?
3. What does his friend Bob like to eat?
4. What’s Bob’s favourite dish?
5. What cuisine does Pete prefer?
6. Why do they prefer to go to various restaurants?
7. Where did they go last week?
8. What was the atmosphere in the restaurant?
9. What did Pete order in that restaurant?
10. What was the opinion of his friends about Japanese cuisine after they tried a small piece of Pete’s rolls?
11. Where does Pete usually go with his co-workers? Why?
1.4 Find the synonyms of the following words in the text.
2.1 Discuss the next questions with your teacher. Ask him/her the same questions.
1. What is your favourite cuisine?
2. Do you like to cook or enjoy eating out?
3. How often do you go to the restaurants?
4. What do you usually order at the restaurant?
5. Do you like eating out alone or with your friends?
1.1 Write an essay about eating out. Use the questions as a plan.
1. Do you like eating out?
2. How often do you do it?
3. Who do you usually go with?
4. Do you have a favourite restaurant/café? What?
5. What is your favourite dish there? (What about your friends/family?)
6. What cuisine would you like to try?
At a restaurant
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Look at the picture and translate the time expressions into English.
*Посмотри на изображение и переведи выражения времени на английский язык.
1.2 Look at the watches and write the correct time.
*Посмотри на часы и напиши правильное время.
It’s one o’clock.
It’s quarter to six.
2.1 Read and complete the dialogue.
*Прочитай и составь диалог.
Dining at a Restaurant Alone
- Reading and Speaking
- GE|Adults|Elementary|1. Let's meet again!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|2. To be, countries
- GE|Adults|Elementary|3. Can you repeat that, please?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|4. Daily routines
- GE|Adults|Elementary|5. Can you describe it?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|6. Feelings and emotions. How do you feel?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|7. I usually do?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|8. Occupations
- GE|Adults|Elementary|9. Asking questions. Dating
- GE|Adults|Elementary|10. Family
- GE|Adults|Elementary|11. Daily activities
- GE|Adults|Elementary|12. Adverbs and expressions of frequency
- GE|Adults|Elementary|13. Can you sing?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|14. Stop making that noise!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|15. What's the weather like today?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|16. Let's read in English
- GE|Adults|Elementary|17. Pastimes we love
- GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|19. A mistake!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|20. People who made a different
- GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
- GE|Adults|Elementary|22. The case of a room murder
- GE|Adults|Elementary|23. A house with a secret
- GE|Adults|Elementary|24. Haunted houses
- GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
- GE|Adults|Elementary|26. How much healthy food do you eat?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|27. The magic luck of numbers
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 1: Travelling by plane
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 4: How can I get to the theatre?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 5: Enjoy your meal!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 1-6
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 7-12
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 13-18
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 19-24