GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
1.1 Look at the picture and answer the questions:
1. What time do you usually have breakfast?
2. Who do you usually have breakfast with?
3. Where do you prefer to have lunch?
4. Do you like to cook? Why?/Why not?
1.1 Do you know any food words in English? What are they?
1.2 Read the words and match them with the pictures.
1.1 You’re going to read an article about the diets of three famous people: Elizabeth II, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gisele Bundchen. Look at the pictures and try to guess whose dish it is.
1.2 Read the article from a series Celebrity Diets in Reader’s Digest magazine and check your answers. Try to guess what the words in bold mean.
1.3 Read the article again. Write the food words in the correct line.
Elizabeth II Queen of the United Kingdom
BREAKFAST: I respect the sacred tradition of tea time. Every morning I like to have Earl Grey tea with some milk and a plate of biscuits. As for my breakfast, I eat some porridge. Also, I enjoy fresh healthy fruit, like strawberries from my own garden, where I grow raspberries and gooseberries too!
LUNCH: When I have my afternoon tea, I usually ask for sandwiches from the kitchen with salmon, egg with mayonnaise, ham, mustard and cucumber. My favourite dessert is jam pennies. They are small English pastries with raspberry jam.
DINNER: In the evening I have some special, healthy food too. I like eating grilled fish with vegetables and some German wine.
As for my dessert, I prefer chocolate cake ‒ which I eat to the last piece.
Cristiano Ronaldo footballer
BREAKFAST: I like good food, even though I am a world-class athlete. I am a fan of big breakfasts with pastries, ham and cheese, and also fresh fruit. For my drink I enjoy a latte and a glass of juice — pear, apple or pineapple. Since I play football, I must drink a lot of liquids.
LUNCH: I try to eat simple food such as cereals, vegetables, and lots of fish during the day. In fact, I like to take sardines from the tin and put them on my bread. It is delicious!
DINNER: If I decide to eat out at restaurants, I often order steak and salad. But my absolute favourite dish is «Bacalhau à Brás», Portuguese dish, that I like to have for dinner. “Bacalhau” is made from fish, onions, and fried potatoes. For dessert, I really like chocolate and birthday cakes.
Gisele Bundchen supermodel
BREAKFAST: I wake up at 5:30 every morning, but I don’t start my days with a cup of coffee. I just have some hot water with lemon in it and do my exercises. It helps wake up my body. After that I have a bowl of cereal with green juice from fruit.
LUNCH: I prefer to eat scrambled eggs, avocado toast, coconut yogurt with fresh berries, or toast with butter and honey. I am a fan of fruit, because it is so good for our health!
DINNER: I love to make dinner that can be quick and healthy. For example, it is my favorite homemade recipe that includes broccoli, avocado, cereals, cherry tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
1.1 Look at the pictures in exercise 3 and say, which food you can count and which you can’t.
1.2 Look at the pictures and complete the gaps with a, an, or some.
2.1 Mark in each sentence the correct words: a/an, some or any.
1.1 How do you pronounce ea in these words? Write them in the correct line. Listen to the words and check. Repeat the words.
1.1 What is an ideal healthy diet for you? Make up your own diet rules. You can use the food words and phrases from the list.
vegetables, orange juice, fish, broccoli, bananas
Ex: I always try to watch my diet and here are my own diet rules:
- eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables every day;
- don’t skip your breakfast;
- don’t put much sugar or salt in your dishes, etc.
1.1 What can you see in these two photos? Where are these people?
1.2 What cooking TV shows do you know in your country? Do you like them? Why/why not? Do you sometimes cook their recipes?
2.1 Listen to the first part of a TV program called The Cooking Masters and answer the questions.
The Cooking Masters
1. How many ingredients are there in the bag?
2. What time do the contestants have to cook their dishes?
3. Try to name four of the basic ingredients they can use.
3.1 Listen to the second part and complete the dishes that Bill and Cindy made.
The Cooking Masters (the 2nd part)
3.2 And what are your favourite dishes? Tell about them using adjectives from the box.
1) My favourite food (dish) is Italian pizza. It’s so delicious and fantastic.
2) I like chicken soup, because it’s good and healthy for me.
3) I like to cook an apple pie for all my family. We like eating it with tea. It is so tasty.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 What do Kate and Andrew usually buy when they go shopping? Fill in the gaps with a, an, or some.
*Что обычно покупают Кейт и Эндрю во время шоппинга? Напиши в пробелах a, an или some.
2.1 Complete the conversation between Sandra and Mark with a, an, some or any.
*Допиши в диалоге между Сандрой и Марком a, an, some или any.
2.2 Look at the pictures and write the words without articles.
*Посмотри на изображения и напиши слова без артиклей.
3.1 Mark the word with a different sound.
*Отметь слова с непохожим звуком.
4.1 Read the article and match the headings to the paragraphs.
*Прочитай статью и найди соответствия между оглавлениями и абзацами.
4.2 Read the article again and mark the sentences as true or false.
*Прочитай статью снова и отметь предложения как Правда/Ложь.
5.1 Listen to four speakers telling about their favourite food and complete the short description of what they like to eat.
*Послушай 4 спикеров, которые рассказывают о своей любимой еде и составь короткое описание того, что им нравится есть.
My favourite food
5.2 Listen again and match the sentences to the speakers.
*Послушай снова и найди соответствия между предложениями и спикерами.
6.1 Learn these useful words and phrases. Use the dictionary.
*Выучи эти полезные слова и фразы. Используй словарь.
- scrambled eggs
- homemade recipe
- GE|Adults|Elementary|1. Let's meet again!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|2. To be, countries
- GE|Adults|Elementary|3. Can you repeat that, please?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|4. Daily routines
- GE|Adults|Elementary|5. Can you describe it?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|6. Feelings and emotions. How do you feel?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|7. I usually do?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|8. Occupations
- GE|Adults|Elementary|9. Asking questions. Dating
- GE|Adults|Elementary|10. Family
- GE|Adults|Elementary|11. Daily activities
- GE|Adults|Elementary|12. Adverbs and expressions of frequency
- GE|Adults|Elementary|13. Can you sing?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|14. Stop making that noise!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|15. What's the weather like today?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|16. Let's read in English
- GE|Adults|Elementary|17. Pastimes we love
- GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|19. A mistake!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|20. People who made a different
- GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
- GE|Adults|Elementary|22. The case of a room murder
- GE|Adults|Elementary|23. A house with a secret
- GE|Adults|Elementary|24. Haunted houses
- GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
- GE|Adults|Elementary|26. How much healthy food do you eat?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|27. The magic luck of numbers
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 1: Travelling by plane
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 4: How can I get to the theatre?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 5: Enjoy your meal!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 1-6
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 7-12
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 13-18
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 19-24