GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
1.1 Answer the questions:
1. What kind of music do you like? Why?
2. Do you know any famous musicians?
3. When do you listen to music?
4. What is your favourite band?
1.1 What kinds of music do you know? Look at these kinds of music. What is your favourite kind of music? Which one don’t you like? Why?
– hip hop
– heavy metal
1.2 Listen and say what type of music it is.
1.3 How do you often listen to the music? Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
1.1 Click on the correct answer.
1.2 Write the phrases into the correct paragraph.
|waiting for your sister||like pop music||have a pen|
|looking at me||know this man||speak French|
1.3 Fill in the gaps with do/does or am/is/are.
Example: Do you know this man? – Yes, he is my uncle.
1.1 Listen and repeat the words and sounds.
1.2 Practise saying the sentences.
1. She usually uses only yellow crayon.
2. This new student writes beautiful music.
3. That young musican will play in January this year.
1.1 Complete the questions with do or are. Answer the questions.
1.1 Do you play any musical instruments? What? Do you enjoy playing it? Read the article. How can music change people’s lives?
How Music Can Change Your Life
Most people know that listening to music when they are feeling down or depressed can improve their mood. However recent research studies show that music, especially certain tones can clinically reduce stress. Music can change brainwave patterns, as can yoga, deep breathing, and meditation – and bring on what is known as the Alpha State. Alpha is described as a state of deep relaxation, where the mind is totally stress—free and more open to problem solving. Using music while thinking over some problems can help you to reach that “a-ha” moment and find a solution.
Music can not only make you feel good – but also to be a great motivator. For example, during exercise, listening to music can keep you going, or get you to exercise more by helping you to ignore negative feelings of exhaustion and focus on the nice feelings you get from being absorbed in the music.
There is even a belief that each of us has or can find his or her own “Power Song” that can help us to achieve all we want in life.
When we listen to a piece of music it reminds us of a particular happy time in our past. So next time you are feeling down, put on Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” – or dust off your Bob Dylan albums – you may, or may not connect with the “Harmonic Vibrations of the Universe” but I bet you will feel a whole lot better about whatever it was that was bothering you!
POSTED ON JUNE 6, 2010 BY JASON HARVEY
adopted by Edu.Skysmart
1.2 Look at the words and remember them.
1.1 Write an e-mail to your “friend” in another country. But first read the email. What was it about?
From: Maria ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
To: Alice (email@example.com )
Subject: My family
How are you? I hope you’re well. Thanks for your last e-mail. This time l’m writing to tell you about my family.
My mother’s name is Amparo and my father’s name is Juan. My mother is 45 years old and my father is 55. My mother is a doctor and my father is a dancer. I love them both very much.
I have a horrible little brother and no sisters. His name is Fernando. He goes to the same school as me. He is 8 years old. He loves playing football, video games and annoying me! I like playing basketball and going out with my friends. I don’t like school because my teacher is always angry.
We have one dog called Bobbi. He is always happy.
Well, that’s all for now. I hope to hear from you soon.
1.2 Use this plan and write your email to your teacher.
Paragraph 1: Your name, age, where you are from. What you do, and why you are studying English.
Paragraph 2: Your family.
Paragraph 3: What you like doing in your free time.
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Use be (not) or do (not) to complete sentences.
*Используй be (not) или do (not) чтобы составить предложения.
1.2 Rewrite the sentences as questions.
*Перепиши предложения и вопросы.
2.1 Complete the sentences with the words in the box.
*Составь предложения со словами из вложения.
3.1 Choose the odd word which doesn’t have [j] sound.
*Выбери лишнее слова в каждом ряду, которое не имеет звук [j].
4.1 Listen to the dialogue and choose the correct answer.
*Послушай диалоги и выбери правильный ответ.
What kind of music do you like, Jim?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|1. Let's meet again!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|2. To be, countries
- GE|Adults|Elementary|3. Can you repeat that, please?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|4. Daily routines
- GE|Adults|Elementary|5. Can you describe it?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|6. Feelings and emotions. How do you feel?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|7. I usually do?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|8. Occupations
- GE|Adults|Elementary|9. Asking questions. Dating
- GE|Adults|Elementary|10. Family
- GE|Adults|Elementary|11. Daily activities
- GE|Adults|Elementary|12. Adverbs and expressions of frequency
- GE|Adults|Elementary|13. Can you sing?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|14. Stop making that noise!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|15. What's the weather like today?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|16. Let's read in English
- GE|Adults|Elementary|17. Pastimes we love
- GE|Adults|Elementary|18. Can music change our lives?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|19. A mistake!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|20. People who made a different
- GE|Adults|Elementary|21. A day to remember
- GE|Adults|Elementary|22. The case of a room murder
- GE|Adults|Elementary|23. A house with a secret
- GE|Adults|Elementary|24. Haunted houses
- GE|Adults|Elementary|25. Diets and your favourite food
- GE|Adults|Elementary|26. How much healthy food do you eat?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|27. The magic luck of numbers
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 1: Travelling by plane
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 2: Going to the café
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 3: Buying clothes
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 4: How can I get to the theatre?
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Practical English 5: Enjoy your meal!
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 1-6
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 7-12
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 13-18
- GE|Adults|Elementary|Revise and Check 19-24