GE|Adults|Beginner|21. It was my dream
1.1 Answer the questions.
1. Do you have an unusual dream in your life?
2. What do you prefer: travelling or relaxing at home?
3. Do you like your job?
4. What do you dream about?
1.1 Read and listen to Agatha. Complete the sentences.
My name’s Agatha
1.2 Read the verb forms in present and past simple. What is the difference?
2.1 Read the rule. Listen and repeat the examples.
Past Simple of regular verbs.
When we talk about the past, we use past simple.
We form it by adding the ending -ed to verbs: visit — visited.
We use did not (= didn’t) + Verb after the subject to form negative sentences: I didn’t visit my parents last week.
We use did + Subject + Verb in questions: Did you visit your parents last week?
We form short answers with Yes + Pronoun (subject) + did, or No + Pronoun (subject) + didn’t: A: Did you visit your parents last week? B: Yes, I did./No, I didn’t.
If the verb ends in an e, we add d: like — liked.
If the verb ends in a consonant + y, y is dropped + ied: study — studied.
If the verb ends in a vowel + y, we add ed: play — played.
If the verb ends in a consonant — vowel — consonant, we double the final consonant + ed: travel — travelled.
[ɪd] if the verb ends in [t], [d]: wanted, added.
[t] if the verb ends in [k], [s], [ʧ], [ʃ], [p], [f]: watched, missed, liked.
[d] if the verb ends in other sounds: loved, closed.
I played with the children
(+) I played with the children.
You wanted a tea.
He visited his parents.
She worked yesterday.
We walked in the park.
They stopped at a hotel.
(-) I didn’t play with the children.
You didn’t want a tea.
He didn’t visit his parents.
She didn’t work yesterday.
We didn’t walk in the park.
They didn’t stop at a hotel.
(?) Did you stay at home yesterday?
Yes, I did. / No, I didn’t.
Did she travel to Russia?
Yes, she did. / No, she didn’t.
Did they finish their work?
Yes, they did. / No, they didn’t.
3.1 Open the brackets in past simple.
Example: She (not listen) to music yesterday.
She didn’t listen to music yesterday.
3.2 Put the sentences in past simple. Use yesterday, last Sunday/week instead of every day and usually.
Example: He starts his work at 8 every day.
He started his work at 8 yesterday.
3.3 Read the text. Ask and answer the questions with did. Use the given words.
My name’s Agatha
My name’s Agatha. I always wanted to be a stewardess in British Airways. But it was not cheap for my family. So I took a part-time job when I was at university. After studies I went to London. It was my dream to live there.
I travelled to London by plane. It was 2 o’clock when I arrived. The weather was foggy and rainy, but I liked it. I had an interview for a job the next day. And I passed it!
Example: Agatha/want/to be/a stewardess/in/British Airways?
Did Agatha want to be a stewardess in British Airways? — Yes, she did.
1.1 Listen and repeat the sounds and the sentences.
Sounds and sentences
1.2 Tick the verbs with the same sound of the ending.
2.1 Listen and repeat Agatha’s story. Pay attention to intonation and past forms of verbs.
My name’s Agatha
1.1 Answer the questions.
Example: Did you go to the cinema last Sunday?
No, I didn’t. I didn’t go to the cinema last Sunday.
1. Did you watch TV yesterday?
2. Did you cook breakfast this morning?
3. Did you book tickets last Monday?
4. Did you pack a suitcase this morning?
5. Did you call your friend yesterday?
6. Did you work last Saturday?
7. Did you walk in the park last weekend?
8. Did you study English last year?
1.2 What did your family do yesterday?
Example: My mother watched TV yesterday. She didn’t cook dinner yesterday. My father didn’t book tickets yesterday.
1.3 Describe the photos in past simple. Use the words in the chart. Make up positive and negative sentences.
Example: Martin painted yesterday. He didn’t listen to music.
listen to music
play the board game
1.1 Read the text. What do the words in bold mean? Complete the sentences after it.
I loved London very much
I loved London very much. The weather was mostly rainy and cold, but I liked that kind of weather. I lived in a big luxurious hotel with other stewards. Next day I visited the Tower of London and the Picture Gallery. I travelled by double decker bus (London’s red bus).
On my first day at work I met other stewards. They were all nice and young, but they worked hard. They also helped me a lot. Our pilots were very friendly to me. But at work they were serious. We went to the bar after work.
I rented a car next weekend and visited the National Library and London Bridge. They were fantastic! I also visited some other English cities.
As for work, at the beginning of my career I had short flights. Then the distant flights appeared. We travelled abroad. I was in Germany, Belgium, Turkey, Italy, Spain, the USA. They were really cool and attractive. The only thing I didn’t like was the quick change of climate when we travelled from one country to another.
It was interesting to me. But I missed my native city and family a lot. So I returned there with my boyfriend. Now I’m happy.
1.2 Did your friends or family members work abroad? Where did they work? Was it a good experience? Why?
Homework / Домашнее задание
1.1 Complete the sentences with the words from the chart. / Составь предложения со словами из вложения.
Example: I always wanted to live in my … town.
I always wanted to live in my native town.
2.1 Make up sentences with the given words in past simple. / Составь предложения с данными словами в форме Past Simple.
Example: Alec/not go/to the park/yesterday.
Alec didn’t go to the park yesterday.
2.2 Write the given verbs in past simple. / Напиши данные глаголы в форме Past Simple.
Example: Mother (wash) my clothes on Friday morning.
Mother washed my clothes on Friday morning.
2.3 Ask and answer the questions in past simple. / Составь вопросы и ответь на них в форме Past Simple.
A: You (listen) to pop music yesterday? B: No, … .
A: Did you listen to pop music yesterday? B: No, I didn’t.
3.1 Listen and repeat the sounds and verbs. Pay attention to the endings in past simple. / Послушай и повтори звуки и глаголы. Обрати внимание на окончания в Past Simple.
Sounds and verbs
3.2 Tick the verbs in which the ending -ed is pronounced as [d], [t] and [ɪd]. Then listen and check. / Отметь глаголы, в которых окончание -ed произносится как [d], [t] и [ɪd]. Послушай аудио и проверь.
Check the exercise
4.1 Listen to the text. Mark the sentences with T (true) or F (false). / Послушай текст. Отметь предложения правда/ложь.
4.2 Learn these useful words and phrases. / Выучи полезные слова и фразы.
5.1 Click on the icon below and learn new words with Quizlet app. / Кликни по иконке ниже и учи новые слова в мобильном приложении Quizlet.
- GE|Adults|Beginner|1. Nice to meet you!
- GE|Adults|Beginner|2. Where are you from?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 1: Can you spell it?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|3. We're Americans
- GE|Adults|Beginner|4. What's your phone number?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 1-4
- GE|Adults|Beginner|5. What's in your bag?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|6. Souvenirs and prices
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 2: How much is it?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|7. People and family
- GE|Adults|Beginner|8. Common adjectives
- GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 5-8
- GE|Adults|Beginner|9. What do you have for breakfast?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|10. A long flight
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 3: What's the time?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|11. What do you do?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|12. My typical day
- GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 9-12
- GE|Adults|Beginner|13. Free time in our life
- GE|Adults|Beginner|14. Cinema
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 4: How can I get there?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|15. I can do it!
- GE|Adults|Beginner|16. Do you like cycling?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 13-16
- GE|Adults|Beginner|17. What am I doing?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|18. The Secret Mission
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 5: Would you like a cup of coffee?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|19. In a hotel
- GE|Adults|Beginner|20. Famous people
- GE|Adults|Beginner|English Practice 6: Where am I?
- GE|Adults|Beginner|21. It was my dream
- GE|Adults|Beginner|22. One day
- GE|Adults|Beginner|23. I Rode A Camel!
- GE|Adults|Beginner|24. I'm going to Vatican
- GE|Adults|Beginner|Revise and Check 17-24