Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|12. Grounds for complaint
Do you like shopping? Let’s see what kind of customer you are.
Complete the questionnaire and count the number of points
My score is ____________.
Read the sentences and complete the sentences to make them true about you
Match the words with their definitions
Listen to the dialogues and choose the correct options
Read the sentences and name their functions.
There is a problem with my laptop. — Making complaints
We’ll call you later. — Receiving complaints
I’m sorry to say this, but I can’t give you a refund. — Rejecting complaints
Put the sentences in the correct order to make a conversation and understand the nature of the complaint
Choose one topic and do the task
Match the sentences with the pictures that illustrate them
Complete the dialogue with your own ideas
Choose the number and role-play the situation
Match the words to make phrases
Fill in the gaps with the words from the list. Use the correct form
Listen to the audio and fill in the form
Read the text and do the task
A travel website Skyscanner.net conducted a survey and found some really unusual complaints.
The website asked 400 international hotel staff about the strange things guests asked for or complained about. Some complaints were very ridiculous. It would be difficult for any hotel to make some guests happy. The majority of unusual requests relate to food. One guest demanded 15 cucumbers a day. Another asked for only the right legs of a chicken — the staff wondered if the left leg didn’t taste as nice as the right one. Once staff was asked to deliver one glass of water every hour throughout the night. One guest made a complaint that his ice cream was too cold.
Complaints about the room are also very popular. One man at a luxury hotel in London was unhappy that his room did not have a sea view — the nearest beach to London is about 75 kilometers away.
Strange bathroom demands are also at the top of the list among most unusual hotel requests, such as a bath of honey and one full of chocolate milk while one guest demanded the toilet to be filled with mineral water.
One woman asked for a refund as her dog hadn’t enjoyed its stay. Once a guest asked for a discount because his girlfriend snored.
So, it’s difficult not to feel sympathy for hotel staff.
Read the text once again and mark the sentences as True, False or Not mentioned
Read the task and prepare your 2-minute speech on the topic «Complaints»
Read the situation and say what you would do.
You have paid a lot of money for a holiday abroad. When you arrive at the airport, you find out that the travel agency made several mistakes with your flight and hotel arrangements. Now you might not be able to arrive at your destination until tomorrow afternoon, but you have a tour scheduled tomorrow morning!
You may use the following ideas:
- To call the travel agency and make a complaint
- To ask for a full refund upon arrival
- To leave a negative comment about this travel agency on all travelling websites
- Not to recommend this travel agency to anyone
- To do nothing
Allow your browser access to your microphone, press the button «Record» and record the speech you have prepared
- What type of customer are you?
- Shopping habits
- I want to make a complaint
- Can I help you?
- Can I talk to the manager?
- What's the problem?
- But it says here
- An interesting survey
- To complain or not...
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|1. It runs in the family
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|2. Just do it!
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|3. Good neighbours
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|4. Honest or diplomatic?
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|5. If you ask me for advice
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|6. Presents
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|7. What a journey!
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|8. Love stories
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|9. Technology addiction
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|10. Borrowing and lending
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|11. It's embarrassing, isn't it?
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|12. Grounds for complaint
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|13. Money matters while travelling
- Adults|Spoken|Pre-Intermediate|14. If you've got a cold