Adults|Grammar|Elementary|33. Am/is/are — questions
Read the rule
W: What’s your name?
W: Are you married?
M: No, I’m single.
W: How old are you?
W: Are you a student?
M: Yes, I am.
Read the rule
Positive and questions
Is she at home? / Is your mother at home? (not Is at home your mother?)
Are they new? / Are your shoes new? (not Are new your shoes?)
Read the examples
- Where is your mother? Is she at home?
- «Where are you from?» «Canada.»
- «What colour is your car?» «It’s red.»
- «How old is Joe?» «He’s 24.»
- How are your parents? Are they well?
- These postcards are nice. How much are they?
- This hotel isn’t very good. Why is it so expensive?
what’s = what is
who‘s = who is
how‘s = how is
where‘s = where is
- What’s the time?
- Who’s that man?
- Where’s Lucy?
- How’s your father?
Read the rule
Find the right answers for the questions
E.g. Where’s the camera? — In your bag.
Make questions with these words
Complete the questions. Use What… / What colour… / Who… / How old… / How much… / Where… + to be (in the correct form).
Read the answers and write questions
Write short answers, for example, Yes, I am. (+) / No, he isn’t. (-)
Write sentences for the pictures.
Use the correct words + is/isn’t/are/aren’t
- The windows (is/isn’t/are/aren’t) open.
- Lisa (is/isn’t/are/aren’t) happy.
Complete every gap with one or two words. Use short forms (e.g. I’m) where you can.
If you open the lesson plan you will be able to assign separate pages as homework or all the homework pages at once.
- Questions - to be
- Positive and questions
- Short answers
- Where's the camera?
- Making questions
- Who, What, How
- Ask questions
- Short answers
- The windows are open
- Are you hungry?
- Introductory lessons|Welcome! Your Personal Track
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|1. Present Tense. To be. Positive
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|2. Present. To be. Negative
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|3. Present Tense. To be. Questions
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|4. Possessive Determiners
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|5. Articles
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|6. Present Simple. All Verbs. Positive
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|7. Present Simple. All Verbs. Negative
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|8. Present Simple. Questions
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|9. Possessive's
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|10. Telling the time
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|11. Adverbs of frequency
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|12. Can/can't
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|13. Like doing
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|14. Object pronouns
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|15. Possessive pronouns
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|16. Past Simple (To be)
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|17. Past Simple: regular verbs
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|18. Past Simple: irregular verbs
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|19. There is/There are
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|20. There was/There were
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|21. Present Continuous
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|22. Present Simple, Present Continuous
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary| 23. Countable / uncountable nouns
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|24. Quantifiers
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|25. Be going to (plans)
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|26. Be going to (predictions)
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|27. Comparative Adjectives
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|28. Superlative Adjectives
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|29. Adverbs
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|30. Present Perfect
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|31. Irregular Verbs
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|32. Prepositions
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|33. Am/is/are — questions
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|34. I am doing
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|35. Are you doing?
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|36. I do/work/like etc.
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|37. I don't...
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|38. Do you...
- Adults|Grammar|Elementary|39. Am/is/are
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|1. First Conditional
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|2. Second Conditional
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|3. First & Second Conditional
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|7. Pr Perfect vs Past Simple
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|8. Used to or Didn't use to
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|9. To be + Past participle
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|10. Defining Relative Clauses
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|11. Past Simple
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|12. Past Continuous
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|13. Questions and Auxiliaries
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|14. Conjunctions
- Adults|Grammar|Pre-Intermediate|15. Going to